Volunteering in a pandemic environment
Our meal recipients are homebound, and have very few options when it comes to nutrition. For that reason, we intend to deliver meals without interruption.
That said, we are seeing nation-wide, and world-wide changes each day. Meals on Wheels will continue to operate as long as possible, with the health and safety of both recipients and volunteers top of mind:
- Dockside pickup is in effect at all pickup locations, eleminating group gathering and exposure.
- All thermal meal transport bags are sanitized before meals are packed.
- We encourage all volunteers to use hand sanitizer before and after each delivery.
- In order to continue a vital part of our mission - the 'safety check' :
- we are providing plastic grocery bags (thank you, local vendors!)
- suggest meals be set at the door, or hung on the doorknob
- knock or ring bell; step back, away from the door (6 feet)
- wait unitl the recipient answers, in order to greet and visually connect with the recipients
- We ask volunteers to stay home if they are sick, feeling unwell, or have a compromised immune system.
- If we know a recipient is ill, we can deliver their meal to a cooler with an icepack.
Volunteering for Meals on Wheels
Volunteers from across the community make a difference every day delivering meals on 35 different routes.
Not only are they delivering a hot meal, they are providing an invaluable connection to the greater community that so many of our homebound neighbors need.
If you have approximately 90 minutes to give once a week, once a month, a couple times a month, or even a couple times a year, we have an opportunity for you to give back and get involved.
Our volunteers come from all walks of life: some are seniors themselves, others are business people that deliver on their lunch hour, many of our volunteers take their children or grandchildren along. There are many opportunities available. Simply call 434-847-0796 and we can help you get involved or click here to fill out an application online.
Still not quite sure if volunteering is for you?
Read more about it in our Volunteer Handbook.
View our Volunteer Training Video on YouTube to get a first-hand look at what meal delivery is like, as well as excellent training instruction from Ashley and Dusty, new Meals on Wheels supporters! (filmed pre-Covid - revisions pending!)
Not available during the lunch delivery hour? Check out our a la carte Opportunities!