Our fact sheet will tell you more about Meals on Wheels of the Greater Lynchburg Area and the difference we are making in the community. You can download the fact sheet here.
Here are just a few more facts:
- Last year, more than 900 volunteers delivered over 75,000 meals to people of all ages in the Lynchburg area. (an increase of 13,456 over the prior year!)
- Through ANIMEALS, 123 pets of meal recipients were provided with a monthly supply of food through donations from individuals in the community.
- The cost of a one-year supply of home delivered meals is roughly equal to one day in the hospital
- Approximately 76% of the people we serve receive their meals at no charge to them; only 8% pay the full amount. About 16% are charged on a sliding scale, based on ability to pay.
- One in six seniors faces the threat of hunger, according to the State of Senior Hunger in America.
- In the last 15 years, the number of seniors in America suffering from hunger jumped by 45 percent.
- Food insecurity is dangerous for everyone but for the elderly in particular. Hungry seniors are :
60 percent more likely to experience depression,
53 percent more likely to report a heart attack and
52 percent more likely to develop asthma.
Those who live alone are at particular risk.
Meals on Wheels’ audit and IRS 990 form are available upon request through the office.